1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Gayton postmill and towermill; Fairstead postmill; Loke Road early postmill and later postmill; Almshouse lane postmill and towermill; Homeland road towermill; and Wooton road postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Gaywood [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Gaywood

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 324-325.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

GAYWOOD is a village and parish, partly within the parliamentary borough of Lynn, to which town it forms a populous eastern suburb, and includes the hamlet of HIGHGATE: it is in the Western division of the county, hundred and union of Freebridge Lynn, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Faith is a plain cemented cruciform structure, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and transepts (the north transept is used as a vestry), with a square brick tower containing 3 bells: it has a Norman doorway in good preservation. The register dates from the year 1562: here is also a list of rectors since 1302. The living is a rectory, yearly value about £650, including 13 acres of glebe, in the gift of Richard Bagge esq. and held since 1869 by the Rev. Richard Ambrose Whalley B.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge. There is a mission church at Highgate, erected in 1879. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel at Highgate. The Wesleyans have a chapel here, with school, built in 1874, at a cost of £600. There are some small charities for distribution in kind. A chalybeate spring, called Reffly Spring, is very much frequented. The Hospital of St. Mary Magdalene was founded by Petrus Cappellanus, in 1155, for a prior and twelve brothers and sisters; after being some years dissolved, it was re-founded in the reign of James I. and rebuilt in 1649, with twelve tenements, and a chapel, forming a square: the revenues are about £370 a year, applied in the support of a reader, and eleven widows of the age of sixty and upwards, selected from the residents of Lynn: it is under the Charity Trustees: the corporate body of Lynn are foeffees. Gaywood Hall is the seat of Richard Bagge esq. D.L., J.P. who is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is in general gravelly; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley, with a portion of meadow land. The Estuary Company enclosed about 300 acres of land in this parish and that of North Lynn during the year 1865. The area is 2,058 acres, of which 160 are water; rateable value, £5,451; the population of the parish in 1881 was 805.

POST OFFICE.—Henry David Middelton, receiver. Letters arrive from Lynn at 5.20 a.m. & a p.m. & are dispatched at 7.35 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Lynn

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; Henry Bradfield, 10 Albion terrace, clerk to the Board

Board School, Highgate, built in 1877, for 180 children; average attendance, 135; Miss Annie Wilton, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2005; links u[dated December 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Gayton postmill and towermill; Fairstead postmill; Loke Road early postmill and later postmill; Almshouse lane postmill and towermill; Homeland road towermill; and Wooton road postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Gaywood [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page