GISSING is a village and parish through which the Great Eastern railway passes, 2 miles north from Burston and 2 south from Tivetshall stations and 5 north-east from Diss in the Southern division of the county, Depwade Union, Diss hundred and county court district, rural deanery of Redenhall, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is an old flint building, inthe Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, north and south chapels, nave, round tower and fine Norman doorway: the interior is lofty, with handsome carved oak roof: in the chancel and north chapel are five very handsome marble monuments in memory of the Kemp family, surmounted by armorial bearings, one of the date 1612 and one to Sir Robert Kemp, who was created baronet by Charles I,; there is also a monument to the Rev. Edward Howman, formerly rector of the parish, and also one to Ann, his wife: the interior was thoroughly restored in 1876-7, at a cost of about £1,500. The registers were destroyed by fire at the rectory some years ago, but some fragments have recently been discovered bearing date of the 16th century. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £497, with 87 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Sir Kenneth Hagar Kemp bart. and held since 1874 by the Rev. John Sharpe M.A. late fellow of Christ's College, Cambridge. The rectory house was built in 1878. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Gissing Hall, the property of Sir Kenneth Hagar Kemp bat J.P. is amodern mansion, in the Elizabethan style, situated in a well-wooded park, and is occupied by Gen. Horace William Montagu RE., C.B. The principal landowner is Sir Kenneth Hagar Kemp bart. who is lord of the manors of Gissing, Kemp-with-Dallings and Gissing-cum-Dagworth; the Norwich Free Grammar School and Doughty's Hospital, Norwich, are likewise landowners. The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay and brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, barley , peas and beans. The area is 1,981 acres; rateable value, $3,246; and the population in 1881 was 454.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; J. Furness Long Stratton, clerk to the board
Board School, built in 1876, at a cost of £700, to hold 88 children, average attendance, 69; Thos. Ltchfield, master; Mrs. Sarah Litchfield, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; minor corrections January 2011; links updated November 2009.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Gissing Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Gissing postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Gissing [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page