GOODERSTONE is a village and parish 6 miles south-south-west from Swaffham station, in the Western division of the county, South Greenhoe hundred, Swaffham union and county court district, Cranwich rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese. The church of St. George is a stone structure, in the Early English style, of large dimensions, consisting of chancel, nave and south aisle, square tower containing 3 bells: several of the windows are stained, and there are three sedillia and a carved screen; the lower part of the screen has the figures of the Twelve Apostles painted, and is in good preservation. The register dates from the year 1702. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £133, with 22 acres of glebe, in the gift of Anthony H. R. Micklefield esq. of Stoke, and held since 1853 by the Rev. Charles William Henry Humphrey Sidney B.A. of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge; the rectorial tithes have been commuted at £250. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels here. There is an allotment of 53 acres, the rent of which is expended in fuel; also four almshouses for widows, repaired from the rent of land left for that purpose, and 5s. a year from Briston's Charity, in the hands of trustees. The manorial rights are nearly extinct. Joseph Trueman Mills, A. H. R. Micklefield, J. C. and T. Brooke, William Carter and W. Ford esqrs. are the principal landowners. The soil is sand and loam; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and pasture. The area is 2,721 acres; rateable value, £3,061; and the population in 1881 was 487.
POST OFFICE. Miss Sarah Jane Cobbin, sub-postmistress. Letters from Brandon, viâ Stoke Ferry, arrive at 8 a.m. dispatched at 4.55 p.m. Wall Letter Box cleared at 5 p.m.; no collection on sundays. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Stoke Ferry.
A National school was erected here in 1845 & enlarged in 1875 to contain 90 children, the ground for which was given by Charles Brooke esq.; George Edward Marshall, master
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 1999; minor corrections, May, 2001; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1854
White's 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Gooderstone Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer[
Gooderstone Church [Fay Wheeler]
Gooderstone Watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Gooderstone Street towermill, Chalk Row Lane towermill, Mill Drove postmill, Quarry postmill [all Jonathan Neville]
More on Gooderstone [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page