GOODERSTONE, commonly called Goodson, is a long village of detached houses, 4 miles N.E.of Stoke Ferry, and 6 miles S.S.W. of Swaffham, in the vale of a rivulet which flows southward to the Wissey. Its parish has 500 inhabitants, three wind mills, one water mill, and 2743 A. of land, partly belonging to James Cuddon, Esq., of Norwich, the lord of the manor, but here are several resident proprietors. The CHURCH (St. George) is a large fabric, with a short square tower and three bells. The nave and chancel are divided by a lofty screen, which has been richly ornamented with paintings, carvings, and imagery work. Several of the windows have stained glass, and at the west end are three ancient stalls on each side. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £6. 12s., and in 1831 at £136, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. John Dolignon. H. R. Micklefield, Esq., is the patron, and also impropriator of the great tithes, having here a small rectorial manor. In the village is a Wesleyan chapel, and also a National school, the latter built in 1844. At the enclosure, (42nd Geo. III.,) an Allotment of 50A. was awarded to the poor. The occupiers of the ancient cottages cut turf upon it, and the herbage is let for £35 a year, which is distributed among the poor, who have no right of cutting fuel. The latter have an annuity of 5s. left by Wm. Briston in 1710. The rent of the Town Piece, 4A., is applied in repairing three cottages.
Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling, April 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
White's 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Gooderstone Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer[
Local information page [Brian Elliott]
Gooderstone Church [Fay Wheeler]
Gooderstone Watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Gooderstone Street towermill, Chalk Row Lane towermill, Mill Drove postmill, Quarry postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Gooderstone [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page