GOODERSTONE, usually called Goodson, is a scattered village and parish, 6 miles S.S.W. of Swaffham, containing 130 houses, 613 souls, and 2,743 acres of land, partly the property of Saml. Cartwright, Esq., the lord of the manor, and the rest belongs to resident proprietors. Here are three wind mills, and a water mill, the latter on the banks of a rivulet which flows southward to the Wissey. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. George, is an ancient edifice with a square tower and three bells. The nave and chancel is divided by a lofty screen, which has been richly ornamented with paintings, carvings, and imagery work. Several windows have stained glass, and at the west end are three ancient stalls on each side. The vicarage, valued in the King's book at £6 12s., and in 1852 at £110, is enjoyed by the Rev. C.H.B. Cidney. H. R. Micklefield, Esq., is the patron, and impropriator of the great tithes, having here a small rectorial manor. In the village is a Wesleyan chapel and a National school; the latter built in 1843. The Poor's Allotment, 52a. 30p., awarded in the 42nd of George III. is used by occupiers of ancient cottages for cutting turf upon it, and the herbage is let for £45 a year, which is distributed among all the poor of the parish. The poor have 5s. a year left by Wm. Bristow in 1710, and the rent of the Town Piece, 4a., is applied in repairing three cottages.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April 2000; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
White's 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Gooderstone Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer[
Gooderstone Church [Fay Wheeler]
Gooderstone Watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Gooderstone Street towermill, Chalk Row Lane towermill, Mill Drove postmill, Quarry postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Gooderstone [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page