GOREFIELD is an eccesiastical parish, formed in 1870 from the civil parish of Leverington, 3½ miles south from Wisbech, 3¼ north-east from Coldham Railway station; it is a polling place for the county, in the hundred, union and county court district of Wisbech, rural deanery of Wisbech and in the peculiar archdiaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely, 4 miles north-east from Wisbech. The church of St. Paul, built in 1871, is a handsome building offlint and stone, in the Early English style, and consisting of chancel, nave and vestry, with bell-turret and 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1871. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £230, with residdence, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely and held since 1871 by the Rev. Andrew Beck B.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. Here is a Congregational chapel. The principal landowners are Thomas Scrimshaw, Algernon and Alexander Peckover, and Thomas Dearlove Dearlove esqrs. The soil is rich loam; subsoil clay The chief crops are wheat, oats beans, potatoes and mustard. The population in 1881 was 506.
Parish Clerk, William Wilkinson.
Letters through Wisbech which is the nearest money order & telegraph office. PILLAR BOX, cleared at 6.30 p.m. week days only.