GORLESTON is a parish, being a a suburb of and within the boundary of the borough of Great Yarmouth (Norfolk): it is a polling place for the Eastern division of the county of Suffolk, in the incorporated hundreds of Mutford and Lothingland and county court district of Great Yarmouth: it is about 2 miles south from Yarmouth, and pleasantly situated on a hill overlooking the sea and the river Yare. This parish was added to the borough of Great Yarmouth by the Parliamentary of Municipal Reform Acts of 1832 and 1835. There is a station on the Great Eastern railway in the parish, in the hamlet of SOUTHTOWN, which was anciently a separate parish, and was annexed to the borough of Great Yarmouth in 1681. The church of St. Andrew is a large ancient edifice of flint with stone dressing, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles and a square tower 90 feet high: it contains a bras in memory of one of the Crusaders: the font, which is very curious and ancient, had long been covered with plaster, but on cleaning it in 1842 it was found to be richly painted and gilded, the gilding being untarnished, but a great part of the sculpture destroyed. until 1871 the church was in a very dilapidated and even ruinous condition, but in that year a Restoration Committee was formed, under the presidence of E. P . Youell esq. and sufficient funds were raised to enable the work of restoration to be commenced in 1872: the fabric of the church (excepting the tower) was thoroughly restored at a cost of about £3,000, under direction of the architect, Mr. J. T. Bottle, and special gifts (including a peal of bells by Mrs. Roberts) were presented, to the value of about £1,000 additional, making a total expenditure of about £4,000. The register dates from the year 1674. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £360, in the gift of an held since 1882 by the Rev. Arthur Robert Abbott B.A. of the University of London. Here are Congregational, Wesley, New Connexion Methodist and Baptist chapels. The herring fishery is carried on here. The Gorleston and Southtown Gas Works were erected in 1854, at a cost of £4,500, in shares of £10 each. A public hall was erected in 1874, at a cost of £1,200, and will hold about 500 persons. The parish is divided into two manors, viz. the paramount manor of Gorleston, of which Lady Crossley is owner, and the small manor of Bacon, which is held by the trustees of the late Samuel Palmer, esq. The largest portion of the land belongs to the Earl of Lichfield, but there are various other owners. The soil is light; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 1,931A. 1R. 11P. of which the hamlet of Southtown comprises 596A. 2R. 23P. and 2,251 inhabitants; rateable value of Gorleston, £14,619; of Southtown, £14,674; together £29,293; according to the census of 1881 the parish contained a population 9,008.
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank.William Ballard Cockrill, postmaster. Letters arrive from Yarmouth at 6.30 a.m. 11.30 a.m. & 3.30 p.m.; dispatched at 6 a.m. 8.15 a.m. 11.45 a.m. & 7 p.m.; sunday & [sic. at] 6 a.m. & 7 p.m.
SOUTH GORLESTON POST, MONEY ORDER & Savings Bank.William Cockrill, postmaster. Letters arrive from Yamouth at 6.30 a.m. 11.30 a.m. & 3.30 p.m.; dispatched at 6 a.m. 8.15 a.m. 11.45 a.m. & 7 p.m.
1891 Census Names Index
Wills & Other Documents
Cliff Hill towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Catholic church of St. Peter and Lowestoft Road Methodist church [Simon Knott]
Return to Yarmouth
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page