1891 Census Names Index
1811 Census [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Register information (Ives family) [Frank Ives]
Wegg Family History [Ian Wegg]
White's 1845 and 1883 [Ian Wegg]
Great Bircham postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
St. Mary's Church [Great Bircham Society of Bellringers]
Bircham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Great Bircham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information {Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Great Bircham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.248.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

GREAT BIRCHAM is a village and parish, 14 miles north-east from Lynn, 10 west from Fakenham, 8 south-west from Burnham Market and 3 south from Docking railway station, in the Western division of the county, Smithdon hundred, Docking union, Little Walsingham county court district, rural deanery of Bircham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, The church of St. Mary is a handsome stone structure, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave and aisle, with a noble tower and 5 bells: the chancel has been restored and a window, in the Perpendicular style, has been inserted: the old communion rails have been replaced with new ones of a suitable character: a good tuned organ has also been erected: the Communion table is very ancient (1640). The register dates from the year 1657. The living is a rectory, yearly value tithe rent charge £575, with 73 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of and held since 1874 by the Rev. John Broomfield Winckworth B.A. of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford, who is non-resident; the Rev. Clement Broughton Sneyd is the curate in charge/ Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The Marquis of Cholmondeley is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is of a fair, light, mixed character; subsoil, clay and chalk. Bricks are made in the parish. The crops are on the four-course system. The area is 3,606 acres; rateable value, £2,413 7s.; the population in 1881 was 460.


POST OFFICE.— Mrs. Jemima Bales, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive through Lynn at 6.40 a.m.; box closes, week days, at 5.55 p.m.; sundays, 3.5 p.m. Docking is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Here is a school for boys, girls and infants, for the three parishes of Great Bircham, Bircham Newton & Bircham Tofts, attended by about 179 children; average attendance, 160, who are educated & clothed every year chiefly at the expense of the Marquis of Cholmomdeley, who has erected almshouses for four old women; John Layland, master; Mrs. Harriet Layland, mistress

CARRIERS TO & FROM LYNN pass through frequently

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, October 2006; links updated February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
1811 Census [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Register information (Ives family) [Frank Ives]
Wegg Family History [Ian Wegg]
White's 1845 and 1883 [Ian Wegg]
Great Bircham postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
St. Mary's Church [Great Bircham Society of Bellringers]
Bircham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Great Bircham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information {Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page