1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1854 and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1937
Great Cressingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Manor Court Rolls of Great Cressingham 1328-29 (Search down for Cressingham)
Great Cressingham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Great Cressingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Great Cressingham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.280-1.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright E.C."Paddy" Apling, January 1999]

GREAT CRESSINGHAM is a parish and village situated on the river Wissey, 6 miles south from Swaffham and 5 west from Watton station, in the Western division of the county, Swaffham union and county court district, South Greenhoe hundred, Cranwich rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Michael is a noble Gothic stone building, having chancel, nave, aisles, tower with 3 bells, porch and organ, and was restored in 1864; a very handsome carved stone pulpit has been added, also a beautiful stained window, to the memory of the wives of the late rector (the Rev. Charles Taylor): the chancel and north aisle, which were very much in decay, were restored at considerable expense, through the exertions of the late rector: but much external restoration is still required, and the tower especially is in a far from satisfactory condition. The register dates from the year 1557. The living is a rectory; with that of Bodney annexed, joint gross yearly value £700, with 52 acres of glebe and good residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held since 1882 by the Rev. Henry Stuart Fagan M.A. late fellow of Pembroke College, Oxford. The advowson formerly belonged to the Bishop of Norwich, but since the time of Henry VIII. it has been in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. The fuel allotment of 33 acres is let for £60 yearly which is applied to the purchase of coals. Here are the remains of the ancient Priory farmhouse. E. A. Applewhaite, esq. J.P. and the rector, who are lords of the manor, and Joseph Trueman Mills esp. J.P. are the principal landowners. The soil is light and sandy, and the subsoil is chalk. The chief crops of wheat, barley, rye and turnips. The area is 2,424 acres; rateable value £2,742; and in 1881 the population was 464.

_____

POST OFFICE.— Arthur Eastick, sub-postmaster. Letters received though Thetford, viâ Watton, at 8.20 a.m. & dispatched at 5 p.m. Watton is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Here is a National school for boys & girls & Infant school; a Sunday school is held at the school-room; James Elston, master; Mrs. Elston, mistress

Transcription Copyright E.C."Paddy" Apling, January 1999; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1854 and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1937
Great Cressingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Manor Court Rolls of Great Cressingham 1328-29 (Search down for Cressingham)
Great Cressingham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Great Cressingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page