1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Swaffham union
White's 1854 and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883 and 1937
Great Cressingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Manor Court Rolls of Great Cressingham 1328-29 (Search down for Cressingham)
Great Cressingham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Great Cressingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Great Cressingham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845, pp. 374-5.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright E.C."Paddy" Apling, January 1999]

CRESSINGHAM (GREAT) is a scattered village, near the river Wissey, 5 miles S. by E. of Swaffham, comprising in its parish 476 inhabitants, and 2391 acres of land. mostly belonging to E. T. Applewhaite, Esq., H. B. Caldwell, Esq., and the Rev. H. Dugmore, the first of whom is lord of Glosebriggs manor, and lessee of an estate here called Collins' manor, belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who have a peculiar jurisdiction in this parish, where there is likewise a small rectorial manor, in which there was a chapel and a hermitage, dedicated to St. George; the site of which is the "Stone Close," where a cattle and horse FAIR is held on the first Wednesday in August, paying tolls to the rector. The whole parish was held by the Bishop of Thetford, at the Domesday survey, and remained with the See till the reign of Stephen, when Bishop Eborard was obliged to resign it to two powerful knights, in order to preserve the rest of his diocese. The CHURCH (St. Michael) is a large edifice, with a lofty square tower, and contains several fine brasses and inscriptions to the Eyre, Fludd, and other families. The rectory, valued in KB at £17. 8s.1d., and in 1831 at £610, was consolidated with that of Bodney, in 1770. The glebe is 55A., and the tithes of the two parishes were commuted, in 1839, for £519 per annum; besides which, the rector has half the tithes of 140A. in Ashill parish. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. Benj. Philpot, M.A., is the incumbent. In 1621, the Rev. Leonard Burton left £60 to be laid out in land, one moiety for repairing the church, and the other for the parish clerk. This land (8A.) is worth £10 a year. The FUEL ALLOTMENT, awarded in 1803, is 35A., let for £44 a year, which is distributed in coals among the poor, who have also 22s. 8d. yearly from three rent-charges, left by Rd. Newman, Rt. Heyhoe, and Wm. Robinson. The National School, attended by 140 children, was built in 1840, at the expense of the rector.

Note: The entry for Clark, Barnabas is spelt Baruabas in the original

Transcription Copyright E.C."Paddy" Apling, January 1999; minor corrections & note added January 2000; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Swaffham union
White's 1854 and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883 and 1937
Great Cressingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Manor Court Rolls of Great Cressingham 1328-29 (Search down for Cressingham)
Great Cressingham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Great Cressingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page