1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883 and 1937
Great Cressingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Manor Court Rolls of Great Cressingham 1328-29 (Search down for Cressingham)
Great Cressingham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Great Cressingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Great Cressingham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, p. 727

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000]

CRESSINGHAM (GREAT), 5 miles S. by E. of Swaffham, is a scattered village, near the river Wissey, and its parish comprises 583 souls, 112 houses, and 2,391 acres of land, mostly the property of E. T. Applewhaite, Esq., H. B. Caldwell, Esq., and Rev. H. Dugmore; the first of whom is lord of Glosebrigg's manor, and lessee of an estate here called Collin's manor, belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who have a peculiar jurisdiction in this parish, where there is likewise a small rectorial manor, in which there was a chapel and hermitage, dedicated to St. George; the site of which is the "Stone Close," where a cattle and horse fair is held on the first Wednesday in August, paying tolls to the rector. At the Domesday survey this parish was held by the Bishop of Thetford, and remained with the see till the reign of Stephen, when Bishop Eborard was obliged to resign it to two powerful knights, in order to preserve the rest of the diocese. The Church is a spacious edifice, with a lofty square tower, and has recently been partly re-seated, several new windows added, and otherwise improved, at an expense of £151 raised by a rate. It contains several fine brasses and inscriptions to the Fludd, Eyre, and other families. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £17 8s. 1d., and in 1831 at £610, was consolidated with Bodney, in 1770, and is in the gift of the Crown, and enjoyed by the Rev. Benj. Philpot, M.A. There are 55a. of glebe, and the tithes of both parishes are commuted for £519 per annum; besides which the rector has half the tithes of 140a. in Ashill parish. The Church Land, purchased with £60, left by the Rev. L. Burton, in 1621, is let for £16 a year, half of which is given to the clerk; £4 to the churchwardens; and £4 to the rector for reparations of the chancel. The Fuel Allotment, 35a., awarded in 1803, is now let for £61 10s., which is expended in coals for the poor, who have also 22s. 8d. yearly from three rent-charges, left by Richd. Newman, Rt. Heyhoe, and Wm. Robinson. A National School was built in 1840 at the expense of the rector. Mr. Rd. Chapman, formerly a resident at Thompson for 23 years, was presented with an elegantly bound Bible and Prayer-book, by the minister and parishioners, as a mark of respect on his removing to this parish. Post Office at Mr. David Eastick's; letters arrive at 9.30 a.m., and are despatched at 4.45 p.m.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated January 2010; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1854 and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883 and 1937
Great Cressingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Manor Court Rolls of Great Cressingham 1328-29 (Search down for Cressingham)
Great Cressingham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Great Cressingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page