1891 Census Names Index
Little Dunham
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Great Dunham smockmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Ancient of Days (Introduction to the ancient churches of East Lexham, Great Dunham, Houghton on the Hill and Newton By Castle Acre) [Simon Knott]
Great Dunham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Great Dunham [GENUKI-NFK]
Paddy's Home Page
Village Index

Norfolk - Great Dunham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.304.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

GREAT DUNHAM is a parish and ancient village of detached houses, 1 mile north-east from Dunham station, 5 north-east from Swaffham and 117 from London, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford & Launditch union, Swaffham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a very ancient Anglo-Saxon structure: it consists of chancel, nave and central tower with two bells: in the chancel is a brass to the memory of Henry Bastard gent. lord of the manor, who died August 23rd, 1624: the font and piscina are curious. The ruins of a Roman altar, and of a church dedicated to St. Mary, have been found in the garden of the rectory house. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a rectory, yearly value £600, with 44 acres of glebe, in the gift of Robert Blake Humfrey esq. of Wroxham Hall, and held since 1875 by the Rev. John Blake Humfrey B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. Here are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. The poor have benefit of some charities, amounting to 5 12s. yearly, besides a fuel allotment of 33 acres, let at 47 yearly. Robert Blake Humfrey esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Messieurs Walpole Chamberlayne, Thomas Palmer and Captain Davey. The soil is heavy; subsoil, clay and gault. The chief crops are wheat, barley, hay and turnips. The area is 1,967 acres; rateable value £3,435; the population in 1881 was 394.


POST OFFICE.—Jonathan Dunfer, postmaster. Letters arrive here from Swaffham by mail cart at 5.30 a.m. & are dispatched at 7 p.m. Litcham is the nearest money order & telegraph office

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1873; R. Curtis, 15 Coronation Square, King's Lynn, clerk to the board

Board School, average attendance about 70, Mrs. Elizabeth A. Daniels, mistress

Humfrey Rev. John Blake B.A. [rector]
 
          COMMERCIAL.
Bear John, Flower Pot
Betts James, farmer
Chamberlain Henry, blacksmith
Chamberlayne Rt. Jn. farmer, Hall farm
Clitheroe James, farmer
Downs Lydia (Mrs.), farmer
Dunger Jonathan, shopkeeper, & post office
Gamble John, carpenter
Girling John, miller (wind & steam)
Johnson James, farmer
Larwood John, farmer
Mann Robert, farner
Porritt Water, builder
Rallison William, Horse Shoes
Rawling James, shopkeeper
Rawling Walter, shoe maker
Regester James, baker
Rix William, farmer
Scase Henry, farmer
Tuck John, farmer
Whales William, carpenter
Wharton Samuel Porter, farmer

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Little Dunham
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Great Dunham smockmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Ancient of Days (Introduction to the ancient churches of East Lexham, Great Dunham, Houghton on the Hill and Newton By Castle Acre) [Simon Knott]
Great Dunham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Great Dunham [GENUKI-NFK]
Paddy's Home Page
Village Index