1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Notice of Enclosure [GENUKI-NFK]
Great Ellingham postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Church of St. James [Local web-site]
Archeology of Great Ellingham [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Great Ellingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Great Ellingham

Entry in Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.307-8.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

GREAT ELLINGHAM is a village and parish about 3 miles west from Attleborough station, in the Southern division of the county, Shropham hundred, Wayland union, Atlleborough country court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. James is a spacious building of flint, with stone dressings, in the Early English style: it has a large chancel, nave with open roof and four arches on either side, aisles, a square tower containing 5 bells, and north porch. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Little Ellingham annexed, joint yearly value £735, in the gift of R. Berridge esq. and held since 1872 by the Rev. Samuel William Turner B.A. of Oriel College, Oxford, who resides at Little Ellingham. The Baptist chapel was founded here in 1699, and re-erected, of red brick with stone dressings, and opened November, 1824; it will seat about 450 persons. The Primitive Methodists also have a chapel here; there is a fuel allotment of 53 acre producing £72 14s. yearly. Lord Walsingham is lord of the Bury Hall manor, and Mrs. Taylor, of the other two manors. The principal landowners are Lord Walsingham, George Tyrrell Tyrrell esq. Sir W. Bowyer-Smijth bart. Henry Norton esq. and Oldman Carter esq. The soil is various; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,670 acres; rateable value, £4,578 10s.; the population in 1881 was 652.

______

POST OFFICE. Edward Fox, postmaster. Letters from Attleborough arrive at 4.50 a.m.; dispatched at 8.40 p.m. Attleborough is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

SCHOOLS:—


[DIRECTORY:—]

Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling, July 2000.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Notice of Enclosure [GENUKI-NFK]
Great Ellingham postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Church of St. James [Local web-site]
Archeology of Great Ellingham [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Great Ellingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page