1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Great Fransham towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Fransham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Great Fransham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see Little Fransham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Great Fransham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.320.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

GREAT FRANSHAM is a parish and station on the East Anglian railway, 118 miles from London, 6 west from East Dereham, and 6 east-north-east from Swaffham, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Launditch, union of Mitford & Launditch, county court district of Swaffham, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a structure of flint in the Early English style and is of ancient date, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a square tower with spire; it contains two ancient brasses: it was restored in 1878 at a cost of about 700. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly value £552, with residence and 62 acres of glebe, in the gift of Magdalen College, Cambridge, and held since 1853 by the Rev. Vincent Raven M.A. late fellow, tutor, and president of that college. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1877. The fuel allotment of 8 acres, produces 12 yearly. The trustees of the late John Hudson are lords of the manor, and Frederic M. Metcalfe esq. J.P. of Inglethorpe Hall, Emneth, is lord of the manor of Ellinghams, and the principal landowners are Harvey Mason esq. Harry Wilsom Benson esq. Frderic M. Mason esq. the Rev. W. Pearce and the trustees of the late James Hubbard. The soil is mixed, and portions stiff; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 1,880 acres; rateable value £3,438; the population in 1881 was 319.


Letters received from East Dereham at 8 a.m. & are dispatched at 4.30 p.m. Little Fransham is the nearest money order office & telegraph office at Litcham

The school, built in 1871, for 80 children, average attendance 51, is supported by voluntary rate & school pence; Miss Esther Quartermain, mistress

Railway Station, Edgar Skeat, station master

Benson Harry Wilson, High house
Buscall Mrs. Charles
Raven Rev. Vincent M.A. [rector]
Rix Mrs. Curds hall
 
          COMMERCIAL.
Allison John, carpenter
Archer John, higgler
Benson Harry Wilsom, farmer & landowner, High house
Boddy Thomas, farmer
Burton Willia, wheelwright
Churchman William, farmer
Clark David, farmer & shopkeeper
Clark John Thomas, farmer
Claxton Christmas, Lord Nelson
Crane William, timber merchant & implement maker
Flood John, farmer
Mann Robert, Chjequers
Purple Willia, farmer
Rush Marlborough, Pine
Tye George, Fox & Hounds
Wyatt Charles, farmer

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Little Fransham
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Great Fransham smockmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Ancient of Days (Introduction to the ancient churches of East Lexham, Great Fransham, Houghton on the Hill and Newton By Castle Acre) [Simon Knott]
Great Fransham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Great Fransham [GENUKI-NFK]
Paddy's Home Page
Village Index