GREAT MELTON is a parish between 2 and 3 miles west from Hethersett station, 5½ south-west from Norwich and 4 north-north-west from Wymondham, in the Southern division of the county, Humbleyard hundred, union of Henstead, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Humbleyard, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich Great Melton consists of two distinct parishes, St. Mary and All Saints, consolidated in the reign of Queen Anne. All Saints church was suffered to go to decay in accordance with Act of Parliament in 1710, since which the church of St. Mary has been in use, but in consequence of its recent dilapidated condition it has been demolished and All Saints church rebuilt, and a new north transept and vestry added: the present edifice is built of flints with stone dressings and is in the Decorated style (sufficient indications having existed showing that to be the original architecture during probably the middle of the 13th century), except the new south porch, which was known as Perpendicular and of the date 1455: the present church consists of chancel, nave, north transept, south porch and square tower, which alone remained of the original structure, this has been thoroughly restored and contains 3 bells: the chancel contains an Early English window removed from the church of St. Mary: the cost of restoration has been about £1,000. The registers date from the year 1667. The consolidated living is a rectory, with residence and 20 acres of glebe, tithe rent-charge £753 10s. in the gift of Caius College, Cambridge, and held since 1877 by the Rev. Alfred George Day M.A. formerly fellow and president of that college. Snelling's charity of £1 17s. 6d .yearly is derived from a piece of land situate in Wramplingham, and is distributed to the poor in clothing. Melton Hall, the residence of Capt. Edward Berkeley Mansel J.P. is an ancient mansion in the Elizabethan style, built in 1611 by the Anguish family, with a fine lawn in front, and is surrounded by a richly-wooded park of about 100 acres. The Rev. Henry Evans Lombe J.P. of Bylaugh Park, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is various,; subsoil, same. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and hay. The area is 2,485 acres; rateable value, £4,780; the population in 1881 was 311.
Letters through Wymondham. Hethersett is the nearest money order office; the nearest telegraph office is Wymondham. LETTER BOX cleared at 6 p.m.; sundays at 10 a.m.
Here is a National school erected in 1852 at the sole expenses of the late Charles Lombe esq. & supported by private contributions & voluntary rate; Miss Emma Lowen, mistress
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Great Melton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Great Melton Documents [Hethersett Society]
More on Great Melton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page