MOULTON ST. MICHAEL (or GREAT MOULTON) is a village and parish 2 miles north from Tivetshall station, 2 miles south from Forncett station on the Great Eastern railway, and 9 miles south-by-east from Wymondham, in the Southern division of the county, Depwade hundred, and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Depwade, archdeaconry of Norflk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Michael is a small building of flint with stone dressings, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle and tower with 1 bell. In the churchyard is a fine tomb of the 14th century, but no inscription is legible; there is also a stone in memory of one of the Wykeham family. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, yearly value £460 with residence and 23 acres of glebe, in the gift of C. W. Chute esq. and held since 1872 by the Rev. Edward Russel Chute B.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford. The town land of 10 acres produces about £48 yearly, which is divided between the church and the poor. Thomas and Edward Betts esqrs. who are lords of the manor, and Fredrick Copeman esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The area is 1,347 acres; rateable value £2,441 10s.; the popuilation in 1881 was 359.
POST OFFICE.--George Aldis, sub-postmaster. Letters through Long Stratton, arrive at 8.20 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Long Stratton
National School, erected in 1874 for 70 children; average attendance, 52; Miss Clara Levett, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Idnex
White's 1845; 1864; and White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Moulton St. Michael postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Great Moulton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Moulton St.Michael (Great Moulton) [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page