1891 Census Names Index
Directory and other information for Little (West) Poringland
Poringland Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Poringland postmill, smockmill and tower-mill [Jonathan Neville]
Catholic church of Our Lady of the Annunciation [Simon Knott]
More on East Poringland (Great Poringland) [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Great Poringland

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.466.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

GREAT PORINGLAND (or EAST PORINGLAND) is a parish and village, on the road between Norwich and Bungay, 4½ miles south-east from the former and 5 east from Swainsthorpe station, in the Southern division of the county, Henstead union and hundred, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is an old flint building, in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles: it has chancel and nave, round tower with octagonal top and 1 bell: this church has, during the incumbency of the present rector, the Rev. L. C. Wallich, been brought from a state of neglect and dilapidation into one of substantial repair and judicious restoration: the east window, the upper portion of which was blocked up, has been opened and the tracery restored in harmony with the original, some fragments of which were fund embedded in the plaster: the pews have been replaced by open benches of pitch pine, the old carved oak benches with poppy heads have been cleared of successive layers of white paint: a new chancel arch of Ancaster stone has been constructed: carved oak pulpit, reading desk and lectern have been provided; a south porch added and the north porch, once used as a coal cellar, has been converted into a vestry and the interior walls of the chancel faced with Italian cement; above £500 have been expended on the church during the last 30 years, The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value £250, with residence and 18 acres of glebe, in the gift of Henry Birkbeck esq. and held since 1851 by the Rev. Leonard Calder Wallich M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. At the enclosure 18 acres were allotted to the parish, the rent of which is distributed in coals amongst the poor, who have also an annuity of 20s. bequeathed by J. and E. Skoyles. The Earl of Rosebery is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are William Black and George Holmes esqrs. and several small copyholders. The soil is sand, gravel and clay; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and turnips. The area, including Little Poringland, is 1,640 acres; combined rateable value, £2,907; the population in 1881 was 471.

Letters through Norwich. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Brooke

Registrar of Births & Deaths for Henstead Sub-district, & Relieving Officer for Henstead District, William Henry Lockwood

A School Board of 7 members was formed in 1874 for the united district of Poringland, Arminghall, Caistor St. Edmund, Framingham Earl, Framingham Pigot, Markshall & Stoke Holy Cross; J. Chaplin, P. O. Framingham Earl, clerk to the Board. The school for the united district is at Framingham Earl

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, April 2005; corrections January 2010; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Directory and other information for Little (West) Poringland
Poringland Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Poringland postmill, smockmill and tower-mill [Jonathan Neville]
Catholic church of Our Lady of the Annunciation [Simon Knott]
More on East Poringland (Great Poringland) [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page