1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census for Great Snoring & Walsingham Union Workhouse [J. Tillin]
1851 Census for Great Snoring & Walsingham Union Workhouse [J. Tillin]
Marriages 1860-1902 (Parish Register) [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Marriages (1801-1837) [Local web-site]
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1875, 1892, 1896, 1900, 1908, 1912, 1916 and 1933 [J. Tillin]
The Snorings Village Web-site [J. Tillin]
Great Snoring Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Great Snoring watermill and postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Little Snoring
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Great Snoring

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.496.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

GREAT SNORING is a parish about 3 miles north-by-east from Fakenham station, situated on the road from Fakenham to Wells, in the Northern division of the county, North Greenhoe hundred, Walsingham union, and county court district, rural deanery of Walsingham and archeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The Church of St. Mary the Virgin is an old Gothic building, consising of chancel, nave, south aasile and a fine square tower containing 1 bell: it has some stone stalls, and contains several monuments and a handsome mural tablet to the Rev. Chsitopher Stannard B.D. fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge, many years rector of this parish. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, with that of Thursford annexed, joint gross yearly value 840, with residence at each place, in the gift of the Masters and fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge, and held since 1851 by the Rev. George Henry Marsh B.D., formerly fellow of that college and son of the late Right Rev. Herbert Marsh, Bishop of Peterborough. The rectory house is a fine specimen of ornamntal brickwork, and was built by Sir Ralph Shelton, and has been considerably enlarged and beautified by the present rector, and its elaborate south front in part restored. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship here. The charities are Pearson's of 14 yearly for bread, and Alvis's of 6 5s. The Walsingham Union house is situated in this parish; erected in 1837 to hold 350 inmates, at present there are but 96. Messrs. Paine and Brettell, of Chertsey, who are lords of the manor, and the Rev. H. D. Lee-Warner, of Walsingham Abbey, are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, slay. The land is cultivate don the usual four-course system. The area is 1,645 acres; rateable value, 3,854; the population in 1881 waas 452, inclusive of the 96 inmates of the Walsingham Union House.


POST OFFICE.—Mrs. Catherine Mallett, receiver. Letters are received through Fakenham at 9.15 a.m. Box closed at 3.40 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Walsingham

Walsingham Union House, Rev. Alpheus Wilkes B.A. chaplain; Fredk. Bayes, medical offcier; Isaac Priest, master; Mrs. Mary Priest, matron; Miss Lane, scholmistress

Here is a Parochial mixed school, almost entirely supported by the rector; Hary Green, master

Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling, October 2010; links updated December 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census for Great Snoring & Walsingham Union Workhouse [J. Tillin]
1851 Census for Great Snoring & Walsingham Union Workhouse [J. Tillin]
Marriages 1860-1902 (Parish Register) [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Marriages (1801-1837) [Local web-site]
White's 1854 White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1875, 1892, 1896, 1900, 1908, 1912, 1916 and 1933 [J. Tillin]
The Snorings Village Web-site [J. Tillin]
<
Great Snoring Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Great Snoring watermill and postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Little Snoring
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page