GRESSENHALL is a village and parish 3 miles north-west from East Dereham station, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred and union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a large handsome cruciform edifice of flint, with stone dressings, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, dating from the 15th century, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and porch with a handsome central tower with buttresses, containing 5 bells: it has memorials to the L'Estrange, Vessey, Davy and other families: in 1880 the church was thoroughly repaired and reseated throughout; a fine stained east window of the Good Samaritan was placed in memory of the late rector's wife, also one of the Crucifixion at the west end, in memory of the late rector: a beautiful pulpit of stone and alabaster was presented by the Hill family, and an oak eagle lectern given by the parishioners. The register dates from the year 1744. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value £750, with residence and 50 acres of glebe, in the gift of King's College, Cambridge, and held since 1873 by the Rev. John Martyr Ward M.A. late fellow of that college. In that part of the parish called Roughholm was anciently a chapel, founded by William de Stuteville, in the reign of Henry VIII. and dedicated to St. Nicholas, but long since in ruins. The charities are £26 yearly. The workhouse for the Mittford and Launditch union is situated in this parish: it is a red brick building, and was erected in 1776, but in 1860 £2,000 were spent in alterations: for particulars of union see EAST DEREHAM. The Hall, the seat of Charles Groucock esq. is a large brick mansion, with well-wooded park and preserves, containing about 85 acres. The trustees of the late John David Hay-Hill esq. J.P. are lords of the manors of North and South Soken and Roughholm, and Miss Mary Johnson is lady of that of Harfords. The principal landowners are the trustees of the late J. D. Hay-Hill esq. J.P., Miss Mary Johnson, J. Hastings and William Alpe. The soil is loam and clay; subsoil, clay and gravel. The area is 2,541 acres; rateable value, £4,583; and the population in 1881 was 684.
POST OFFICE. Benjamin Tye, receiver. Letters arrive from East Dereham at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.35 p.m. on week days; on sundays ay 9. The nearest money order & telegraph office & savings bank is at East Dereham.
National School, for boys & girls, erected in 1842 at the expense of the late John David Hay-Hill, esq. J.P.; Henry Adams, master
CARRIER TO NORWICH. Robert Gunton, friday, returning sat
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
1891 Census Names Index for Mitford & Launditch Workhouse
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Norfolk Rural Life Museum
Gressenhall early postmill, postmill, smockmill. Workhouse postmill and Gressenhall watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Workhouse chapel [Simon Knott]
Gressenhall Archeology ;Norfolkl Heritage Explorer]
More on Gressenhall [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page