GRIMSTON is an extensive parish of scattered houses, 1¾ miles from the Grimston Road station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, 106 from London and 7 east from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred and union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Bartholomew is a spacious edifice in the Early English style, has a chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, a loft square embattled tower containing 6 bells and a porch: it contains a good stained window, representing Paul before Felix. The register dates from the year 1552. The living is a rectory, yearly value £400, in the gift of the President of Queen's College, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. John Fowler M.A. of that college. The Wesleyan chapel is a commodious Gothic building, erected in 1873, at a cost of £500; and the Primitive Methodists' chapel was built in 1876. A Police Station was built in 1855, and has buildings for inspector and one constable. and a Petty Sessional Court house was built in 1881, Grimston common has been enclosed. There are three fens, awarded for fuel and feeding of geese, which are let for £21 a year; and there is a portion of land which is let in small allotments to the poor at low rents, which, together with the rent of the fens, goes towards the expense of keeping in repair the gates, fences, bridges and drains of the public allotments. Brick and tile making is carried on in the parish. The Marquis of Cholmondeley is lord of the manor of Grimston, and the rector is lord of the rectory manor. The principal landowners are the Marquis of Cholmondeley, Arthur Elwes esq. Sir William H. B. ffolkes bart. M.P. and the rector, who has land instead of tithes. The soil is various, mostly light and gravely and some sad and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips, mangold-wurtzel and grass. The area is 3,994 acres; rateable value £4,159; the population in 1881 was 1,132.
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank.Mrs. Caroline Cross, postmistress. London & other letters are received through Lynn, arrive at 7.15 a.m.; sundays, 7.35; dispatched at 5,35 p.m.; sundays, 12.15 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Hillington
COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR FREEBRIDGE LYNN PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.