GRISTON parish, 2 miles S.E. of Watton, has 253 souls, 54 houses, and 1,356a 2r. 20p. of land, mostly the property of Mrs. Barker, the lady of the manor of Griston Hall, besides which here is a small rectorial manor. The executors of the late Rev. F. Francklin are lessees of the great tithes ; and the Ecclesiastical commissioners are patrons of the vicarage, valued in the King's book at £7 8s. 9d., and in 1831 at £234, and enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. Hepworth, B.A., who has 17a. of glebe. The vicarial tithes were commuted in 1839 for £174 10s., including Watton, and £8 5s. from Thompson. The Church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is a large edifice with a lofty tower, rebuilt in 1477. The north window has a curious painting, representing a priest preaching to a large congregation. The pulpit and a few of the pews are richly carved, and in the chancel is an antique stall. The Fuel Allotment, 60a. 1r. 11p., awarded in 1806, is let for £111 a year, which is distributed in coals and clothing. The poor have 18s. 4d. yearly, left by E. Goaffe and another donor. Griston Hall, now a farm house, was formerly decorated with carvings representing the various incidents in the popular story of "The Children in the Wood," who are said to have lived here, and to have been murdered by order of their uncle, in Wayling, or Wayland wood, in Watton parish, where the Hundred court was anciently held.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845. 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Griston church (with audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Griston archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wikipedia on Griston
More on Griston [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page