GUESTWICK, 4 miles N.W. of Reepham, is a scattered village and parish, comprehending 39 houses, 222 souls, and 1,622a. 3r. 8p. of land. The Marquis of Lothain, W. M. Heath, Esq., Sir E. H. Alderson, and W. E. L. Bulwer, Esq., are the principal land owners ; the latter is lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the Church, which is dedicated to St. Peter, and in 1851, was new-roofed, thoroughly repaired, and beautified, at the joint expense of the vicar and the parishioners. The living, valued in the King's book at £5 10s., and in 1831, at £75, has been augmented with £200 Queen Anne's bounty, and is enjoyed by the Rev. George Shand, who has 18a. of glebe. Here is a commodious Independent chapel and minister's house, with 17a. of land belonging to it. A neat parish school was built in 1851, by the lord of the manor. The poor have 20s. a year out of 3a. of land, left by Wm. Bulwer, Esq., in 1678. William Godwin, author of "Caleb Williams" and other works, was the son of a late Independent Minister here.
1891 Census Names Index
Guestwick Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Letter on Guestwick [Eastern Daily Press]
More on Guestwick [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page