1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Guist Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Guist watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Guist [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Guist

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 329.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

GUIST (or GEISTE) is a parish 3 miles north from Elmham station, and 6 south-east from Fakenham, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, Mitford union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The village is scattered, but pleasantly situated on the banks of the Wensum, over which there is a bridge of one arch. The church of St. Andrew is a very plain Gothic building of flint, consisting of chancel and nave, with square tower having 1 bell: it contains several monuments to the families of Bulwer, Norris and Wiggett. The register dates from the year 1586. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Twyford rectory, joint gross yearly value 350 and 10 acres of glebe, in the gift of William Norris esq. and held since 1861 by the Rev. John Norris Spurgeon B/A. p Corpus Christi college, Cambridge, who resides at Twyford. The poor have a fuel allotment from the enclosures in the years 1785 and 1813, yielding 42 yearly, and a tithe rent charge of 20s. to church and poor left by Robert Wicks. The trustees of William Norris esq. who are lords of the manor, and the trustees of the late Mrs. Preston, are principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and sand. The chief crops ae wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 1,674 acres; rateable value, 2,706; and the population in 1881 was 390.


POST OFFICE—John Abbey, receiver. Letters through Dereham arrive at 5 a.m. & dispatched at 7.0 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Foulsham

INSURANCE AGENT.—County Fire, W. M. Bartle

Parochial School, Miss Fanny Newson, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Guist Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Guist watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Guist [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page