1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Gunthorpe Archeology [Norfolk History Explorer]
Gunthorpe postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Gunthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Gunthorpe

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 329.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

GUNTHORPE is a parish and village, situated in a valley about 1 miles from Thursford station, 8 north-north-east from Fakenham, 5 south-east from Walsingham station and 5 west-south-west from Holt in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St.Mary is a fine building, in the Early English style, and was thoroughly restored by the late rector, J. H Sparke, in 1863: it consists of chancel, with organ chamber on the north side, nave, south porch, with a canopied niche over the doorway conaining two sculptured figures, and a fine square tower: it contains a handsome reredos, a sedilia on the south, and a piscine in the north wall: the windows are stained, that in the east in memory of Henry Astley Sparke, a son of the late rector, who was killed in the charge at Balaklava, subject—Scenes in the Passion Week of our Blessed Lord: there are a few mural monumants. and an organ : the altar-cloth is exceedingly beautiful, and was worked by some ladies: the building is seated throughout with low open pews. The register dates from the year 1684. The living is a rectory, with that of Bale annexed, joint yearly value 613 and 45 acres of glebe (belonging to Bale rectory), in the gift of Edward Bowyer Sparke esq J.P., D.L. and held since 1870 by the Rev. Robert Arbuthnot Law M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, who resides at Bale. The poor have 1 5s. a year out of the "Malthouse Pightly," left by Christopher Ringer 1678. and by John Town in 1777. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here. Gunthorpe Hall is red brick building, situated in a well-wooded park of about 100 acres, in which there is a lake of 4 acres: it is the seat of Edward Bowyer Sarke esq. M.A., J.P., D.L. who is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and grass. The area is 1,089 acres; rateable value, 2,163; and the population in 1881 was 221.


Letters received through Dereham by messenger from Briningham, arrive at 7.20 a.m. Private letter box cleared week days at 5 p.m. & 11 a.m. on sundays. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Holt

There is a school for boys & girlsL the school room stands near the church; it was built at the sole exoense if the late rector & was opened on 1st January, 1868; George Kiddle master; Mrs. M. Kiddle, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Gunthorpe Archeology [Norfolk History Explorer]
Gunthorpe postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Gunthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page