GUNTHORPE is a parish and village, 5 miles W.S.W. of Holt, which contains 70 houses, 281 inhabitants, and 1,087 acres of land belonging to Sir Chas. Chad, Bart., the Rev. S. Brereton, and C. and J. Winn, but mostly to the Rev. John Hy. Sparke, M.A., the patron and incumbent of the rectory, who resides at Gunthorpe Hall, a handsome mansion with tasteful shrubberies and pleasure grounds, ornamented with a small lake. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, has a fine tower, and the chancel was repaired in 1853. The rectory valued in the King's book at £13, with that of Bale annexed to it, has 23a. 25p. of glebe. The tithes of Gunthorpe were commuted in 1839 for £317 18s. per annum, besides £2 2s. from 6a. titheable to Sharrington. Here is a school supported by the rector. The poor have 25s. a year out of Malthouse Pightle, left by Cphr. Ringer in 1678, and John Towne in 1777.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Gunthorpe Archeology [Norfolk History Explorer]
Gunthorpe postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Gunthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page