GUNTON is a parish in the Northern division of the county, North Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Repps, and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, 4½ miles south from Cromer, and 16 north from Norwich. The Gunton station on the Norwich and Cromer railway, 2½ miles east, is in this parish. The church of St. Andrew is a small structure in the Doric style, built of white brick, consisting of nave only. The register dates from the year 1723. The living is a rectory, consolidated with the vicarage of Hanworth, joint yearly value £236, with residence and 28 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Suffield and held since 1866 by the Rev. Henry Hammont Lubbock M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. who resides at Hanworth. The whole of the land is comprised in the grounds and park of Gunton House, the seat of Lord Suffield D.L. who is lord of the manor: the mansion was partly destroyed by fire December, 1882. The soil is rich sandy loam; subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crop is grass. The area is 945 acres reateable value, £1,381; and the population in 1881 was 74.
This parish is included in the Antingham & South Repps United School Board Distract formed in 1875, the children attend the Board School in Antingham.
Railway Station, William P. Taylor, station master
1891 Census Names Index
Wills & Other Documents
Gunton watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Hanworth (& Gunton) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Gunton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page