GUYHIRN WITH RINGSEND were formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1871, from the civil parishes of Wisbech St. Peter and St. Mary, including the hamlet of THORNEY TOLL, which is 3½ miles west, and a portion of Wisbech St. Mary, with nearly the whole of Wisbech Fen.
GUYHIRN is 5 miles north-west from March station and 7 south-west from Wisbech, on the new Nene navigable river, which is crossed by an iron girder bridge. The Great Northern & Great Eaastern Joint railway branch from Spalding to March has a station here: it is in Wisbech hundred, Wisbech union and county court district, rursl deanery of Wisbech, and in the peculiar archdiaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely. The church of St. Mary, erected by voluntary contributions, at a cost of &pount3,700, was consecrated in 1878, and is built upon the site of an old Gothic church dedicated to St.Mary, which existed here in the fifteenth century: it is a fine Gothic building, designed by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A. and has a chancel, nave, and two transepts with bell turret and 3 bells and a carved oak porch: there is a handsome eagle lectern, carved by the hon. Mrs. Montgomery, and a beautiful stone pulpit and font, with marble shafts, given by friends from Devonshire: there is also a handsome window, erected in memory of the vicar's son; the Very Rev. Dr. Montgomery dean of Edinburgh and the Rev' Canon Scott, vicar of Wisbech were the largest contributors to the new church. The register dates from the year 1871. The living is a vicarage, nett yearly value £350, with a vicarage house, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely and held since 1877 by the Rev. William Carpenter M.A. of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. The old chapel of ease, now used as a mortuary chapel, is a plain stone building, having no pretensions to architecture: the building dates from 1600: the bell is dated 1637. Here is a Sunday School, endowed, jointly with Murrow, with £300, invested in £3 per Cent. Consuls, for each school, which was left by Dr. Jobson, vicar of Wisbech. Here is a chapel for Primitive Methodists, also a Wesleyan chapel at Ringsend. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners, Algernon Peckover & Samuel Marriott esqrs. are the chief landowners. The soil is clay and silt; subsoil silt. The chief crops are wheat and oats. The population in 1881 was l,258.
Parish Clerk, Abraham Etherington Tigerdine, sen.
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank.William Alfred Gilby, receiver. Letters arrive at 7 a.m. & are dispatched at 6.30 p.m. through Wisbech. The nearest telegraph office at Murrow. Letter BoxesRingsend, cleared 5.30 p.m.; Thorney Toll, cleared 5 pm. week days only
There are two National Schools, one at Guyhurn, with a teacher's residence, which was erected by voluntary contributions, at a cost, including fittings, of about £800, & another, at Thorney Toll: the Ringsend school was taken over by School Board in June 1882
Board (mixed), Ringsend, Miss Elizabeth Davis, mistress
Narional (mixed), Guyhirn, Miss Sarah Thompson, mistress
National (mixed), Thorney Toll, Miss Taylor, mistress
Railway Station (Great Northen & Great Eastern Joint railway), William Lovell, station master
Coleman, to Wisbech, thursdays & saturdays
Johnson, to Wisbech, thursdays & saturdays
Catling, to Wisbech, saturdays