HACKFORD is a village and parish 4 miles west from Wymondham and one mile south from Kimberley station on the Wymondham and Dereham railway, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St Mary the Virgin is a small stone structure, in the Early Decorated style, and consists of a chancel and nave, with south porch and a square tower, and was thoroughly repaired and re-seated in 1867, at the sole cost of the late rector; the tower has been restored and a clock added, there are the remains of a rood loft; in the porch, which has been restored, is a holy water stoup, in perfect order; a lych-gate has been erected: the roof is thatched. The register dates from 1730. The living is a rectory, yearly value £220, with 25 acres of glebe, in the gift of Robert Thornhage Gurdon esq. M.P. and held since 1880 by the Rev John Lacy Miller, of St Aidans, who resides at Hingham and was formerly curate of that place. The fuel allotment of 10 acres produces £14 yearly, and is distributed in coals to the poor. The Earl of Kimberley is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, brick earth. The chief crops are what, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 754 acres; rateable value £1,396; the population I 1881 was 191.
Letters received through Wymondham. LETTER BOX cleared at 6.15 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Hingham.
This place is included in the Wicklewood United School Board District formed in 1875; the elder children attend the board school there. A sunday school is held at the church
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, December 1998; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Name Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Notice of Enclosure [GENUKI-NFK]
Deopham Archeology (including Hackford) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish Register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Hackford [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page