HACKFORD, a village and parish, 2 miles E. of Hingham, has 64 houses, 255 inhabitants, and 720 acres of land, principally belonging to Lord Wodehouse, the lord of the manor; but Mr. J. B. Storey, Mr. James Howes, Mr. C. Stoughton, and others, are also proprietors. The Church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is a small edifice covered with thatch, with a square tower, and was thoroughly repaired about 14 years ago. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King’s book at £4 15s. 10d., and returned in 1831, at £240, enjoyed by the Rev. M. B. Darby, of Hingham; patron, B. Gurdon, Esq. The Fuel Allotment, 10a., awarded at the enclosure in 1807, produces about £10 a year, and the poor have the privilege of cutting fuel on it. DIRECTORY—Thomas Bush, vict. Red Lion; Samuel Lain, beerhouse; John Smithson, blacksmith; James Bayes Storey, gent. Farmers—Jeremiah Capps, Elizabeth Crisp, Matthew Green, James Head, James Lain, Frederick Garrett Oddin Taylor, High House; Joseph Taylor, Jeremiah Turner, William Turner, John Wade, and Charles Watts.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April 2000; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Name Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Notice of Enclosure [GENUKI-NFK]
Deopham Archeology (including Hackford) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish Register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Hackford [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page