[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]
HADDISCOE is a pleasant village and parish and railway station, 5½ miles north from Beccles, 6 south-east from Loddon, 8 west from Lowestoft and 9 south-west from Yarmouth, situated on the borders of Suffolk, in the Southern division of the county, Clavering hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, Bungay and Beccles county court district, rural deanery of East Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary, which was restored in 1862, at a cost of nearly £600, is an ancient structure, and stands on an eminence; it consists of chancel, nave and north aisle, and a good embattled round tower containing 5 bells. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Toft Monks, tithes commuted at £500 with 20 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of King's College, Cambridge, and held since 1877 by the Rev.Arthur Wace B.A. late scholar of that college. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here. The poor's land is 4A. 2R.; the income arising therefrom amounts to £12 annually, distributed in coals. Here are the Waveney Valley chemical manure works, belonging to Mr. A. W. Pashley, situated on the banks of the river, at which extensive business is carried on, both for home and foreign trade. The Hall, the seat of Ambrose John Palmer esq. and the Manor House of Allington Carman esq. are mansions pleasantly situated and commanding fine prospects: adjoining the Hall are fish ponds, stocked with home and foreign water fowl, and surrounded by shrubberies and choice trees, through which are some beautiful and retired walks. The land belogs to several proprietors, among whom are H. S. Grimmer esq. who is lord of the manor, and Ambrose John Palmer esq. The soil is mixed light land: subsoil, loam. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area, nearly half being marsh land, is 2,071 acres; rateable value, £3,650; the population in 1881 was 300.
POST OFFICE.James Bee, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Norwich at 8.45 a.m. & are dispatched at 2.10 p.m. Letters for Waveney Valley works through Lowestoft. Norton Subcourse is the nearest money; telegraph office is at Loddon
This place is included in Toft Monks & Haddiscoe United School Board district, formed in 1873. The school is in the parish of Toft Monks
Railway Station (Lowestoft branch, James Stone, station master.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Haddiscoe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
The book of Haddiscoe A history of the village by Lin Bensley
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Haddiscoe [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page