1891 Census Names Index
Clavering hundred
Loddon & Clavering Union
Bungay & Beccles county court district
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Haddiscoe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
The book of Haddiscoe A history of the village by Lin Bensley
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Haddiscoe [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Haddiscoe

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 343-344

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001]

HADDISCOE, a parish and populous village, 6 miles E. by S. of Loddon, and 9 miles S.W. by S. of Yarmouth, contains 420 inhabitants, 87 houses, and 2,066 acres of land, chiefly low marshes, in the vale of the Waveney. Hy. Septimus Grimmer, Esq., Sir Edmund Bacon, Bart., John Read, and R. H. Gurney, Esqrs., are the principal landowners, and the former is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, stands on an eminence above the marshes, and has a round tower and five bells. Over the western door is a very ancient and curious specimen of sculpture. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £12, and in 1831 at £797, with that of Toft Monks annexed to it, in the patronage of King's college, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Geo. Fdk. Nicholas, M.A. The tithes have been commuted for £348 10s. and 3s. 4d. to the rector of Thorpe, and there are 20a. 2r. 32p. of glebe. In the time of Henry III. there was a preceptory here, of Knights Templars, who had a chapel in the church, dedicated to St. John. A long inscription on the churchyard wall fronting the road, remembers Wm. Salter, a noted character, who for many years drove the machine from Yarmouth to London. The Town Lands, given in 1566, by Thos. Strange, for paying the taxes of the parishioners, repairing the church and highways, and relieving the poor, have been partly exchanged, and now consists of 13a., let for £20 a-year, the whole of which is appropriated to the discharge of the land tax. The Dam Land, given in 1614 by Thos. Batteley, and Wm. Stone, for repairing the causeway across the marshes, called Haddiscoe Dam, and the relief of the poor, was exchanged at the enclosure of 1814 for an allotment of 2a. 2r. 28p., about half of which is a gravel pit, and the rest is let for £2 a year. The Poor's Allotment, awarded at the enclosure, consists of 4a. 2r. 16p., and the rents are expended in coals. St. Olave's bridge, which crosses the Waveney near the site of Herringfleet priory, in Suffolk, was erected in the time of Edward I., and rebuilt in the time, of Henry VIII., and again in 1770. The Norwich and Lowestoft railway intersects the parish, and has a neat station here. The railway now in progress from Hailsworth by Beccles, will form a junction at the station here. Post Office at Wm. Bee's, jun. ; letters arrive at 12 noon, and are despatched at 1.30 p.m. Coaches and carriers pass through the village to Bungay and Yarmouth, on Mon. Wed. and Sat., and an Omnibus from the station twice a day, (Sun. excepted.)

DIRECTORY

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001; links updated April 2013.

1891 Census Names Index
Clavering hundred
Loddon & Clavering Union
Bungay & Beccles county court district
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Haddiscoe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
The book of Haddiscoe A history of the village by Lin Bensley
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Haddiscoe [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page