1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hainford postmill, Chapel Street towermill and Newton road towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Hainford archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hainford [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Hainford

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.337.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

HAYNFORD (or HAINFORD) is a parish and village 7 miles north from Norwich, and 5½ west from Wroxham station, in the Southern division of the county, Taverham hundred, St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Taverham and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. All Saints' church is a structure chiefly of flint and brick, erected in 1840 at a cost of about £1,300. and consists of nave and transepts. The old church is in ruins. The register dates form the year 1556. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Edmund P. Middleton, esq. and held since 1877 by the Rev. Frank Edward Middeton B.A. of Clare College, Cambridge: the glebe in 30 acres and the tithes have been commuted for £425 yearly. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. The "Poor's Land," left by T. Bulwer esq. John Sporle and Mr. Bolts, consists of 72 acres, and lets for about £100 yearly, which, together with a yearly rent-charge of 60s. left by T. Bulwer esq. is paid to the poor parishioners; they also receive £30 yearly as fuel money. A small portion of the population are weavers. Haynford Hall, the seat of William Brown esq. is a modern mansion, pleasantly situated. The land chiefly belongs to C. R. Marsham esq. who is lord of the manor, and Edward P. Middelton esq The soil is sand and gravel; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley &c. The area is 1,600 acres; rateable value, £2,649; and the population in 1881 was 629.

______

POST OFFICE.—William Philip Roberts, receiver. Letters arrive from Norwich viâ St. Faith's at 8.20 a.m.; dispatched at 4.10 p.m. Horsham St. Faith's is the nearest money order & telegraph office

National School, Miss Christina Blinch, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2005; links updated February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hainford tower windmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Hainford [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page