HALES is a pleasant village and parish 2 miles south-east from Loddon, 6 miles north from Bungay and 4 south-west from Reedham station, in the Southern division of the county, Clavering hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, Bungay and Beccles county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret is a small Norman structure with thatched roof, and consists of chancel, nave, apse and round tower countering 2 bells. The register dates from the year 1674. The living is a vicarage, with that of Heckingham annexed, joint gross yearly value £103, in the gift of Sir. W. Bowyer Smijth bart. and held since 1874 by the Rev. Thomas Parr of Belfast College, who resides at Loddon. The impropropriate tithes have been commuted for £204 yearly. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here. The land belongs to the trustees of the late Sir Henry Hickman Bacon bart. the Earl of Rosebery, D. Palmer esq. R. F. Fuller esq. and Mr. E. Easter; the whole lies in the manor of Hales Hall and Loddon Hall; the Earl of Rosebery is lord of the former and D. Palmer esq. of the latter manor. The soil is good mixed; subsoil, sand, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 980 acres; rateable value, £1,588; and the population in 1881 was 265.
POST OFFICE.James Bane, receiver. Letters through Norwich arrive at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 3.40 p.m. on week days only. Loddon is the nearest money order & telegraph office
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875 for the united district of Hales & Heckenham [sic]; J. C. Carpenter, Loddon, clerk to the Board
Children attend the school at Heckingham.
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, January 2005; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Hales tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Hales Archeology [Morfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hales [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page