1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Halvergate postmill and tower mill; High's drainage mill, Howard's drainage mill, Lockgate drainage mill,
     Mautby Farm drainage mill and Mutton's drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
Halvergate archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Halvergate Parish Council
Wikipedia entry
More on Halvergate [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Halvergate

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 330-1.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

HALVERGATE is a parish 14 miles south-east from Norwich, 7 west from Yarmouth and about 3 north from Reedham station, in the Southern division of the county, Walsham hundred, Blofield union, Great Yarmouth county court district, rural deanery of Blofield, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an old stone structure in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel and nave, fine old square tower 84 feet high, containing 6 bells, and wooden porch; in 1874 the church was thoroughly restored and the nave re-roofed by the parishioners, and the chancel rebuilt by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The register dates from the year 1550. The living is a vicaage, discharged; the tithes are commuted at 236; there are 42 cres of glebe; the vicar reeeives 4 17s. 6d. from Wickhampton parosh, and a yearly payment of 22 from the impropriators of Halvergate rectorial tithes, and has nearly 2 acres of glebe at Upton: it is in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1853 by the Rev. Arthur Stanley Ormerod M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford; the rectorial tithes are commued at 330 and are held by the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. Here is a chapel for Primitive Methodists. An allotment of about 16 acres, which now lets for about 50, is distributed in money yearly; the sum of 5. left by Judith Lambe in 1735, is distributed to the poor in bread. The Hall, the seat of Robert Gillett esq. is a large, white brick building, standing in pleasant grounds. Halvergate House, the property of William Gillett esq. is now occupied by Robert Howard Gillett esq J.P. and the Rookery is the residence of Robert Boult esq. Robert Fellowes esq. who is lord of the manor, Robert Gillett, William Gillett, A,. C, Fountaine esqrs. amd the trustees of the late R. R. Nesbitt, are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley The parish contains 2,675 acres, 1,780 of which are marsh lands; rateable value, 4,838; the population in 1881 was 482.



POST OFFICE.—John Gaze, postmaster. Letters through Norwich arrive at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 3.30 p.m. Reedham is the nearest money order & telegraph office

A National School, with teacher's resideve, was erected n 1854; Miss Harriet Creme, mistress

Transcription © Copyright E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, August 2007; links updated February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Halvergate postmill and tower mill; High's drainage mill, Howard's drainage mill, Lockgate drainage mill,
     Mautby Farm drainage mill and Mutton's drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
Halvergate archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Halvergate Parish Council
Wikipedia entry
More on Halvergate [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page