Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
1891 Census Names Index for Waxham & Happisburgh Lighthouse
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Happisburgh Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Happisburgh postmill and Mill Farm postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Local village campaign web-site
Erosion history [Coastal Concern Action Group]
More on Happisburgh [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Happisburgh

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 331.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

HAPPISBURGH is a paish and village on the sea-coast, 7 miles east from North Walsham and 5 from Stalham and Honing stations on the Eastern and Midland railway, in the Northern division of the county, Happing hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district , rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary consists of chancel, nave. aisles. with a lofty embattled tower, 110 feet high, and contains a stone font with rude figures: it is a noble structure, its situation on a lofty eminence adding much to the grandeur of its appearance. The register dates from the year 1553. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1859 by the Rev. James Slater M.A. of Queen's College. Cambridge. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. There are charities of the total yearly value of £43 for distribution in kind. There were two lighthouses, called the high and the low, up to June 1883, when the light of the lower was extinguished; the remaining lighthouse is 100 feet high, and lighted with gas: the light disappears once in every half minite for five seconds and then re-appears at full power, The trustee of Cubitt Andrew Silby esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Mrs. Wilkinson, Robert Baker esq. and John Palmer esq. The soil is rich and strong; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 2.163 acres; rateable value, £3,592 10s.; and the populaton in 18814 was 556.


POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank.—David Ducker, receiver. Letters arrive from Norwich viā Stalham, at 7.50a.m. & are dispatched at 2.45 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Stalham

Coastguard station, William Mears, commissioned boatman in charge, with 3 men.

Lighthouse, Fredeick Spurr, Francis Warder & George Cooper, keepers

Natonal School (boys & girls), Miss Jarriet Ducker, mistress

CARRIERS TO:—
         NORWICH—Ourdy, wed. & sat. returning same days
         YARMOUTH—Lacey to 'Waggon & Horses,' satuday, returning same evening

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
1891 Census Names Index for Waxham & Happisburgh Lighthouse
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Happisburgh Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Happisburgh postmill and Mill Farm postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Local village campaign web-site
Erosion history [Coastal Concern Action Group]
More on Happisburgh [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]