HAPTON is a village and parish 1½ miles west from Flordon station, and about the same distance from Ashwellthorpe station on the Great Eastern railway, 5 east from Wymondham and 9 south-west from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Depwade hundred, and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Depwade and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret, is a small ancient flint stone edifice, in a mixed style, consisting of chancel and nave, with a square embattled tower (the latter erected in 1847) containing 1 bell: there is a piscina, the church was restored in 1869. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £125, with residence, in the gift of Christ's College. Cambridge, and held since 1878 by the Rev. John Leach Mitchell Moore M.A. of that college. Here is an endowned Presbyterian chapel, founded in 1741 by Mrs. Gay, with residence for the minister: the endowment consists of the rent arising from about 120 acres of land in the parish. Baroness Berrners is lady of the manor and Sir Charles Harvey bart. is the chief landowner. The soil is gravel and flint; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and turnips. The area is 695 acres; rateable value, £1,207; the population in 1881 was 147.
Letters received through Long Stratton. Wreningham & Long Stratton are the nearest money order offices; telegraph office at Flordon railway station. There us a PILLAR LETTER BOX, cleared at 4.30 p.m.
National School, supported by voluntary contributions; Miss Mary Ann High, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, May, 2010.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Thurston (& Hapton) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hapton [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]