HAPTON, a small parish, 9 miles S.W. of Norwich, has 47 houses, 207 souls, and 657 acres of land, belonging chiefly to Hudson Gurney, Esq.; but Lord Berners is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, stands on an eminence, and the living is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1841 at £40. The patronage, with the appropriation of the tithes, belongs to Christ's College, Cambridge ; incumbent, Rev. Ezekiel Sparke, M.A. The father of the celebrated chancellor, Thurlow, was curate here. The Unitarian Chapel was built by the Presbyterians in 1741, and is endowed with a house for the minister, and about 115 acres of land left by Mrs. Gay. Here is a small parochial school.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Thurston (& Hapton) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hapton [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]