HARDINGHAM parish comprises the hamlets of Flockthorpe and Low Street, extending from 1½ to 3½ miles N. by E. of Hingham. It contains 133 houses, 561 souls, and 2,426a. 2r. of land, of which 300a. were enclosed in 1821. The principal land owners are Lord Wodehouse, Mrs. Edwards, J. O. Taylor, and Micklethwaite, Esqrs. The large mansion here, formerly the seat of the Woodyear family, is now the property of Mrs. Edwards, and the residence of her son H. W. B. Edwards, Esq. Sir Thomas Gresham, founder of the Royal Exchange, was born here. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. George, is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £15 3s. 4d., in the gift of Clare Hall, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. C. Paroissien, M.A. There are 50a. of glebe, and the tithes are commuted for £577. The only house near the Church is the rectory, built in 1834. The Fuel Allotment, 25a., is let for £20 a year, which is expended in coals for the poor, who have £2 10s. yearly for bread, left by several donors. Miss Edwards contributes largely toward the support of a school here. The Dereham and Fakenham Branch of the Norfolk Railway runs through the parish and has a station here.
Carman Jno. Old Hall
Carter Jph. Manson Green House
Rose Thos. H.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April 2000; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Notice of Enclosure [GENUKI-NFK]
Flockthorpe postmill; Hardingham postmill, towermill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Hardingham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hardingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page