HARDLEY is a parish, about 3 miles south-west from Reedham station on the Great Eastern railway, 11 miles south-east from Norwich, and 2½ north-east from Loddon, in the Southern division of the county, Loddon hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, county court district of Norwich, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. In this parish the Chet falls into the navigable Yare. The church of St. Margaret is in the Perpendicular syle, and consists of chancel, nave, with round tower, which is very ancient and contains 3 bells, and south porch. The register dates from the year 1715. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £140, in the gift of the trustees of the Great Hospital Norwich (who are the impropriators of the tithes: the value of the rectorial rent-charge is £328): the living is about to be vacated. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. Sir Reginals William Proctor-Beauchamp bart. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is fine mixed; subsoil, sand, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 1,462 acres; rateable value. £2,080; and the population in 1881 was 243.
Letters through Norwich. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 5 p.m. Loddon is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
There is no school; the children attend those at Langley and Chedgrave
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Langley with Hardley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hardley postmill and drainage mill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Hardley [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page