HARDWICK is a parish and village, 5 miles east from Tivetshall station, 13 south from Norwich, and 7½ westfrom Bungay, in the Southern division of the county, Depwade hundred, and union, Harleston county court district, rural deanery of Depwade and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret, a small ancient structure, in a mixed style, has a chancel and nave; the tower appears to have fallen. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Shelton, joint net yearly value £640, including 30 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of F. B. Frank esq. and held since 1881 by the Rev. Charles Blomfield Smith, who resides at Shelton. Here is a small Wesleyan chapel. F. B. Frank esq. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is heavy and exceedingly fertile; subsoil, chiefly clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, peas and beans. The area is 856 acres; rateable value, £1,254; the population in 1881 was 197.
POST OFFICE.Walter Dale, sub-[pstmaster. Letters through Long Stratton arrive at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 5.10 p.m. The nearest money order office & telegraph office & Savngs Bank is at Long Stratton
This parish is included with Shelton & Hardwick Unitd School Board District
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, May, 2010.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
USAF Hardwick, 1942-1945
Mill Road West postmill and East postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Shelton (& Hardwick) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hardwick [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]