Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Depwade hundred
Depwade union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
USAF Hardwick, 1942-1945
Mill Road West postmill and East postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Shelton (& Hardwick) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hardwick [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Hardwick

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 355

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, September 2002.

HARDWICK parish has 59 houses, 273 souls, and 857a. 0r. 9p of land, and is situated 12 miles S. of Norwich, and 5 miles N. of Harleston. The soil is owned by several proprietors ; but F. B. Franck, Esq. is lord of the manor, and patron of the discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £5, and consolidated with Shelton. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is a small edifice, with nave and chancel, and some remains of a tower. The tithes were commuted in 1837, for £267 12s. per annum ; and there are 7a. 3r. 11p. of glebe land. The Wesleyans have a chapel here.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, September 2002; links updated May 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Depwade hundred
Depwade union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
USAF Hardwick, 1942-1945
Mill Road West postmill and East postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Shelton (& Hardwick) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hardwick [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]