Note: The place is pronounced Harf'em
HARGHAM is a parish 1 mile from Eccles road station and 3 south-west from Attleborough, in the Southern division of the county, Shropham hundred, Wayland union, county court district of Attleborough, rural deanery of Rockland, arch deaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, situated on the road from Attleborough to Thetford. The church of All Saints is a small plain flint building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave, which was new roofed, and the church restored in 1874: total cost about £500, defrayed by subscriptions: the old tower remains a ruin standing apart from the church. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a rectory, united to that of Wilby, joint yearly value £390, in the gift of John Goodacre esq. ands held since 1863 by the Rev. Francis Burgess Goodacre M.D. of St John's College, Cambridge, who resides at Wilby. Hargham Hall, the property of Sir Thomas Beevor bart. D.L., J.P. is a modern building, standing in a well-wooded park of about 50 acres, and is now occupied by William Betts esq. Sir Thomas Beevor bart. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is substantially gravel; subsoil gravel. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area is 1,180 acres; rateable value £1,905 5s.; the population in 1881 was 70.
Letters through Attleborough, the nearest money order & telegraph office & LETTER BOX near Eccles Railway station.
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2000; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hargham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Snetterton (& Hargham) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hargham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page