1891 Census Names Index
Redenhall with Harleston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Harleston Brewery [Richard Bristow]
Jay's Green tower-mill, School Lane postmill, Harleston Common postmill and Redenhall road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Catholic church [Simon Knott]
Harleston Information local web-site
Parish information [Geoff Lowe and Andrew Rivett]
More on Harleston [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Harleston (with Redenhall)

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 333-335.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

HARLESTON or REDENHALL-with-HARLESTON, with part of MENDHAM.

HARLESTON is a market town on the borders of Suffolk, head of a county court district and polling-place for the Southern division of the county, and station on the Waveney Valley branch of the Great Eastern railway, chiefly in the parish of Redenhall, that part of the parish of Mendham which is in the town is now added to Redenhall for parochial purposes, and on the north bank of the river Waveney, 19 miles south of Norwich, 10 north-east from Diss and 99 from London, in Depwade union, Earsham hundred, rural deanery of Redenhall, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary situated, in Redenhall, about a mile from the town, was rebuilt by Thomas of Brotherton, Duke of Norfolk, and is a very handsome gothic edifice; it consists of chancel, nave and aisles, and handsome Gothic porch, with lofty embattled tower, commenced in 1460, containing 8 bells and surmounted by pinnacles; this tower was shattered by lightning in 1616, and was afterwards braced together, since which one of the pinnacles has been struck by lightning, but was afterwards replaced: there is a fine organ, erected in 1842, by subscription of the parishioners, and the chancel roof was restored in 1864 at the expense of the late rector of the parish, the late Ven. Archdeacon Ormerod. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly vale £1,005, with residence, and has 30 acres of glebe attached, in the gift of the Duke of Norfolk on the nomination of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1874 by the Ven. Thomas Thomason Perowne B.D. Archdeacon of Norwich, late fellow of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. The church of St. John the Baptist, Broad street, which was opened 23rd of June, 1872, as a chapel of ease, is a handsome building of stone and cut flint, in the Decorated style of the time of Edward II. and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, small north and south transepts, with apsidal east end, lighted by five single stained windows, representing scenes from the life of Our Saviour: there is also a handsome four-light window at he western end, which has for its subject the principal incidents in the life of the patron saint: each of the aisles is separated from the nave by four arches: the north transept contains a fine organ, and the south is used as a vestry: the roofs are of pitch pine, and the seats are of richly carved oak; the floors are laid out with Minton's tiles: the reredos is of alabaster, picked out in colour: the site for the building was given by W. M. Hazard esq. of this town, who was also the principal promoter, and to whom the parish is chiefly indebted for this church: R. M. Phipson esq. F.S.A. of Norwich was the architect. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels. The charities amount to about £18 yearly. In 1871 the Rev. Samuel Titlow, of Norwich, left £800 in trust to the rectors of Redenhall and Starston, the interest to be devoted chiefly to the apprenticing of poor boys of the above ecclesiastical parishes, four-fifths tot he former and the remaining fifth to the latter parish. Here are the extensive agricultural implement works and foundries of Messrs. Knights and Stacey, from which every description of agricultural work is turned out: also the works of Messrs. Moore, Homes and Mackenzie, church bell founders and patent clapper makers. The A Company of the 4th Volunteer Battalion of Norfolk Regiment assemble here. A subscription reading-room was established at the Corn Hall in 1872, but has been removed to convenient premises almost opposite the "Swan." The Gas Works were erected in 1840. A market for corn is held every Wednesday in a handsome and commodious Corn Hall. Two fairs, formerly held on July 5th and September 9th, are now discontinued; repository sales for all kinds of live and dead stock are held every Wednesday on grounds near the town and railway station, alternately by Mr. George Durrant, Redenhall Grange, and Messrs. Chasten and Read. Gaudy Hall is an ancient and commodious mansion, with extensive grounds, the seat of John Sancroft Holmes esq. J.P., D.L.: the hall took its name from the Gawdy family, who formerly resided here, and form whom it descended to the Wogans, and since to the present owner. William Martin Hazard esq. is lord of the manor of Harleston, and John Sancroft Holmes esq. is lord of the manors of Redenhall, Holbrook, otherwise Alburgh, Hawkers and Coldham with Redenhall. The principal landowners are John Sancroft Holmes, the trustees of the late Osborn Springfield and Frederick Bacon Frank esqrs. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The area is 2,539 acres; rateable value, £5,990 15s.; the population in 1881 was 1,731, and 246 in that part of Mendham parish in Norfolk; total, 1,977.

POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office.—Mrs. Elizabeth Caley, postmistress. Letters form London & all other places delivered at 7 a.m. 1.30 p.m. & 6.25 p.m.; dispatched to all parts at 9.45 a.m.: to & through Norwich at 7.15 p.m. & Bungay 5.10 p.m.; to & through London at 7.15 p.m.
PILLAR BOX, Redenhall road, cleared 9.30 a.m. & 7 p.m.
WALL BOX, Scole road, cleared 9.20 a.m.

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR EARSHAM PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.

INSURANCE AGENTS:— PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS:— PUBLIC OFFICERS:— £68 yearly from the bequest of Mr. John Dove is paid by the trustees towards the maintenance of the National schools, in which upwards of 200 children are educated. The sum of £30 yearly was granted by Archbishop Sancroft, in 1689, to the Master and Fellows of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, for a clergyman to perform the service on week days & to teach some boys; but this sum is now paid towards the salary of the National school-master
National School, Edward Wilson, mastr; Miss Charlotte Pescod, girls' mistress; Miss E. Davies, infants' mistress
Railway Station, Matthew Bird, station master
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2005; links updated July 2014.

1891 Census Names Index
Redenhall with Harleston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Harleston Brewery [Richard Bristow]
Jay's Green tower-mill, School Lane postmill, Harleston Common postmill and Redenhall road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Catholic church [Simon Knott]
Harleston Information local web-site
Parish information [Geoff Lowe and Andrew Rivett]
More on Harleston [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page