1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Harling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
East Harling postmill, postmill (early), smockmill, steam mill, tower mill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
East Harling Church [Local web-site]
More on East Harling [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
West Harling
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - East Harling

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 759-761

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001]

HARLING (EAST), or Market Harling, a small Market Town on elevated ground, above the vale of the Thet rivulet, 9 miles E. by N. of Thetford, and 21 miles S. W. of Norwich. The parish contains 247 houses, 1,198 inhabitants, and 2,573 acres of land. Sir R. J. Buxton, Bart., is lord of the manor, but the Earl of Albermarle, Thos. Thornhill, Esq., and others, have estates here. The market, held on Tuesday, is well supplied with corn, swine, &c. ; and fairs are held on May 4th, first Tuesday after Sep. 12th, and October 24th. A Hiring Session is held on the Tuesday after Michaelmas. Sir Robt. Harling, Knt. formerly held this manor : he was a distinguished warrior in the time of Henry V., and was killed while bravely defending Paris in 1435 ; but his body was brought home and buried in Harling Church under an altar tomb, on which rest effigies of himself and his wife, beautifully carved in marble. His daughter married Sir W. Chamberlain, and afterwards Sir Robt. Wingfield, Knt., who obtained for the town a charter for a market and two fairs. The town was once celebrated for the manufacture of linen yarn and cloth. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is a handsome edifice, with a tower and spire ; and at the east end is the Harling chapel, containing effigies and other memorials of that family. The Rectory, valued in the King's book at £12, is in the gift of Mrs. Wilkinson, and enjoyed by the Rev. Thos. B. Wilkinson. The Friends, Methodists, and Primitive Methodists, have each a chapel here. Here is a National School, attended by 150 children, having a library of 300 volumes. Mr. John Loveday, ironfounder and agricultural implement maker, has obtained great repute for his improved portable thrashing machines. The farm premises at Flint Hall, the residence of Mr. E. Bale, are admirably constructed, and a steam apparatus for preparing food for cattle has recently been erected. The Town Lands, vested in trust from an early period, were increased by an allotment at the enclosure, and now consist of 96a. 3r. 37p., with a cottage and farm premises, let for £93 a year, which is applied in the service of the Church.. The Fuel Allotment, 56a. 1r. 4p., awarded in 1805, is partly used for cutting fuel, and the rest is let for £30. Petty Sessions are held at the Swan Inn, on 1st Thursday in every month : H. M. Clowes, of Buckenham, and W. Clarke, Esqrs., of Thetford, are clerks to the magistrates. It is intended to erect a new Police Station here. About a mile north of the town, is a Station on the Norfolk Railway. On Jan. 5, 1854, a frightful collision occurred about half way between East Harling and Thetford. In consequence of the immense fall of snow, two engines, with several carriages and a number of men, were sent off from Thetford to clear the way for the mail train ; with the same object, two special engines and several carriages, with 50 or 60 men, were sent from Norwich, and having passed Harling several miles, the four engines came together with a terrible smash. Four of the company's servants were shortly after taken out dead, and dreadfully mangled, and many others were seriously injured.

Post Office at Mr. Chas. Kerrison's. Letters arrive at 5 a.m., and are despatched at 7 p.m.

Alderton Dinah, dressmaker
Andrews Wm. watchmaker
Atmore Mr. Richd.
Bailey Thos. cabinet mkr
Brewster Wm. gun mkr
Cleveland Jas. vety. surgeon
Crooks Henry, surgeon
Cullam Geo. hairdresser
Daynes Jas. cooper & basket mkr
Everett Mr. John
Foulsham Fredk. confectioner
Hammond Robt. thatcher
Harbour Robt. carpenter
Houchen Thos. W. surgeon
Howes Rachel, schoolmistress
Kemp Eliza, ladies' school
Kerrison Chas. coal mert
Killenback S. & J. gardeners
King Chas. Geo. station master
Lawrence James, corn miller
Miller Jno. saddler
Miller Sarah Ann, dressmaker
Norton Wm. flour dlr
Palmer Mr. Geo.
Rush Eliz. vety surgeon
Rust Mary, National school
Rust Robt. horse breaker
Rust Thos. parish clk
Sayer Chas. coal mert
Skipper Jno. carpenter
Smith Chas. hairdresser
Smith John, baker
Smith Thos. saddler
Smith Wm. gardener
Tillott Chas. sexton
Whewell Wm. earthenware dlr
Whitrod J. watchmkr & ironmonger
Wilkinson Rev. T. Boston, rector
Woods Robt, millwright
Inns & Taverns.
Bull, George Solly
Nag's Head, (coml. inn) E. Wright
Queen's Head, Thos. Smith
Swan Inn, (coml. posting house, & inland revenue office,) George David Bailey
White Hart, Isaac Miller
Bank.
Harveys & Hudson, (draw on Hankey & Co., London;) Everett & Hutchinson, agts.
Beer Houses.
Barrett Joseph
Davy Jno. Wm.
Smith Geo.
Smith Robt.
Whewell Wm.
Blacksmiths.
James George
Loveday Jno.
Peak G. & Saml.
Boot & Shoemakers.
Adams Wm.
Barnard R. J.
Clearis Chas.
Fisher Saml.
Gregory Wm.
Knights Jno.
James Jas.
Poll King
Pull Robt.
Peck Michael
Squire Jas.
Bricklayers.
Clarke Robt.
Kerrison David
Kerrison Geo.
Kerrison Jas.
Smith Geo.
Smith Wm.
Butchers.
Brame Wm.
Woodcock Geo.
Woods Alf.(pork)
Farmers.
Alderton Jno.
Bale E. Flint Hall
Challis Jph.
Clarke Robt.
Farman Jph.
Harrold Philip
Kerrison Geo.Hill Harling
Morley Jno.
Osborne Jno.
Read Thos.
Sapey Zachariah
West James
West Robt. (& lime mert)
Whewell Jno.
Grocers & Drps.
Cracknell Wm.
Everett & Hutchinson, (& agent to the Norwich Union Fire and Life Office)
Osborne Wm.
Youels Wm.
Plumbers, &c.
Allen Amos
Smith Robt.
Watson Wm.
Tailors.
Barrett Jph.
Cracknell Wm.
Minett Chas.
Wheelwrights.
Le Grys Thos.
Lemmon Dennis
Loveday John (& iron founder)
Peak Josiah
Railway Conveyance.
Norfolk Railway Co. Station abt 1 mile N. of the town, from whence there are
3 up & 4 down passenger trains and sevrl. goods trains daily.
Mr. Chas. G. King, station master ; and
Mr. G. D. Bailey, Goods agt.
Coaches
From the Swan, to Bury, every wed. & sat. morn. at 9 o'clock, & Omnibuses to the station to meet every train up and down.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Harling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
East Harling postmill, postmill (early), smockmill, steam mill, tower mill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
East Harling Church [Local web-site]
More on East Harling [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
West Harling
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page