HARLING (WEST), from 1 to 2 miles W.S.W. of East Harling, is a parish with 26 dispersed houses, 106 inhabitants, and 3,166 acres of land, the property of the Right Hon. Nicholas Wm. Ridley Colborne, who was created Baron Colborne, in 1839, and was born in 1779. He was long a distinguished member of the House of Commons. On succeeding to the estate of his maternal uncle, Wm. Colborne, Esq., he assumed the surname of Colborne, and has since resided at West Harling Hall, a handsome brick mansion, in a beautiful park, on the southern acclivity of the vale of the small river Thet. His lordship is lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's book at £9 18s. 4d., and in 1831 at £185. The Rev. Charles J. Ridley, M.A., is the incumbent. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, contains some fine brasses to the Birdwell family, who held this manor for 350 years, and resided in an embattled mansion, which was demolished in 1725. There was formerly a hamlet called Middle Harling, with a Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, but it was desecrated in 1543. DorothyGawdy left 11a. 2r. 38p. of land, in Kenninghall, and 3a. 1r. 2p. in Banham, to provide coats and petticoats for the poor of West Harling.
Lord Colborne, Hall ; Rev. C. J. Ridley, M.A., Rectory ; Thos. Pymer, and John Ringer, farmers, and
Alfred Kerridge, jun., gamekeeper.