1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Harpley postmill and Harpley towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Harpley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Harpley [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Harpley

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 336.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

HARPLEY is a parish and village 12 miles north from Lynn, 10 south-west from Fakenham and half a mile from Massingham station on the Eastern and Midland railway, in the Western division of the county, hundred and union of Freebridge Lynn, county court district of Lynn, rural deanery of Lynn, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Lawrence is a large structure of flint and stoe in the Early English style, situated on an eminence, and consists of chancel, nave with clerestry, aisles (the south aisle is embattled), handsome south porch and square western tower containing 5 bells: the south entrance door is of oak, with carved figures: the church is seated with open benches, and the rood-screen still remains under the chancel arch: the chancel has been restored. The register dates from the year 1722. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value 595, with residence, arising from $460 tithe rent-charge and 88 acres of glebe, in the gift of Horace Beck esq. and held since 1883 by the Rev. Harry Edward Beck M.A. of Trinity Hall, Cambridge. Here are chapels for the Methodist New Connexion and the Primitive Methodists. Fourteen acres of land, let for 15 per annum, were left for the repairs of the church, and 14 10s. for charities, 20 of which was left by Mr. Herring: the same gentleman caused almshouses to be erected to contain eight old people, who each receive 5s. per week; he also left 10 per annum to the National School. The Marquis of Cholmondeley is lord of the manor and principal landowner. Mrs. Raven owns about 400 acres. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and chalk The crops are on the four-course shift. The area is 2,193 acres; rateable value, 2,86; and the population in 1881 was 425.



Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, August 2007; links last updated April 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Photos of Reymerston [norfolktours.org.uk]
Harpley postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Harpley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Harpley [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page