1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-UK]
Coltishall (& Great Hautbois) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Great Hautbois [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see Little Hautbois
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Hautbois Magna

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.336.

[Note:; Locally pronounced Hobbies]

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

GREAT HAUTBOIS is a parish and village with a station on the East Norfolk extension railway at Coltishall, 7 miles north-east from Norwich and 3 north-west from Wroxham station, on the navigable Bure, adjoining Coltishall, and from its close proximity appearing to form part of it, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The old church of St. Theobald, a mile from the village, is in ruins: the chancel has been converted into a mortuary chapel. The church of Holy Trinity, consecrated in 1804, is a Gothic flint building, with freestone dressings. and consists of chancel, nave, aisles and organ chamber, and contains a fine old font, removed from the old church. The register dates from the year 1563. The living is a rectory now annexed to Coltishall, tithes of this parish commuted at £175, with 13 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1880 by the Rev. John Colk Girling M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. Here is a reading-room supported buy subscription. Here was formerly an hospital and castle, but few traces of them now remain. Edward Birkbeck esq M.P., J.P. who is lord of the manor, the representatives of Sir H. J. Durrant bart. and the Rev. John Colk Girling M.A. are the chief landowners. A large herd of handsome Jersey cattle, many of which are prize winners, are owned by the rector. Here are extensive lime works belonging to Charles M. G. Girling esq. The soil is varied; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips &c. The area is 610 acres; reateable value £1,167; the population in 1891 was 190.


Letters received through Norwich, viā Coltishall, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office

This parish forms, with that of Coltishall, a united Board School district; the school is at Coltishall

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, August 2008; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-UK]
Coltishall (& Great Hautbois) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Great Hautbois [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see Little Hautbois
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page