Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
South Erpingham hundred
Aylsham union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Coltishall (& Great Hautbois) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Holy Trinity Church [Simon Knott]
More on Great Hautbois [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Register information, etc [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see Little Hautbois

Norfolk - Great Hautbois

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 423-424

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2002]

HAUTBOIS GREAT, 8 miles N.N.E. of Norwich, is a small village, on the north side of the Bure, and its parish has 36 houses, 181 souls, and 5S9 [sic] acres of land, belonging to Lord Suffield and T. H. E. Durrant, Bart. ; the former is lord of the manor. The Church, dedicated to St. Theobald, has a round tower, and is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £4 6s. 8d. ; in the patronage of Saml. Bignold, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. W. J. Blake. In this church was formerly a celebrated image of St. Theobald. At the head of Hautbois, or, as it is commonly called Hobbies causeway, there stood an hospital, founded by Sir Peter de Alto Basco, about the year 1235, for the reception of travellers and poor people—and licensed by the pope to have a chapel, bell, and chaplain. In 1312, Sir Robt. Baynard converted his manor-house here into a castle ; some remains of which are still to be seen. At the White Horse Inn is an excellent bowling-green, which is well supported.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2002; links updated January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
South Erpingham hundred
Aylsham union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Coltishall (& Great Hautbois) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Holy Trinity Church [Simon Knott]
More on Great Hautbois [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Register information, etc [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see Little Hautbois