HAVERINGLAND is a parish and village 8 miles north-west from Norwich, 11 south-west from North Walsham, and about 3 miles west from Buxton station on the East Norfolk railway, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, St. Faith's union, Aylsham county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is a flint building in the Norman style, and comprises nave and north aisle, with a circular tower: the windows are all stained. The register dates from the year 1694. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £63, in the gift of Edward Fellowes esq. and held since 1874 by the Rev. Thomas Medlicott Brown B.A. of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, who resides at Cawston. The Hall, the seat of Edward Fellowes esq. D.L., J.P. is a handsome modern Grecian building, standing on the eastern side of an extensive park, which is well timbered and ornamented with a considerable sheet of water. E. Fellowes esq. is lord of the manor, impropriator of the tithes, and chief landowner. The soil is sand and loam; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 2,063 acres; rateable value, £1,788; the population in 1881 was 116.
Letters received through Norwich at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m. The nearest money order offices are at Reepham & Cawston; nearest telegraph office at Reepham.
The school was built & is entirely supported by E. Fellowes esq.; Miss King, mistress
CARRIERS TO NORWICH.Robert Easton passes through from Cawston to 'Duke's Palace,' sat.; Laxton also mon. wed. & sat. to Duke's Head,' both returning same days.
1891 Census Names Index
Haveringland Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Haveringland [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page