HECKINGHAM is a parish and scattered village 2 miles east from Loddon, 4 south-west from Gedeston [sic. Geldeston] station, and 5 south-east from Beccles, situated on the Chet or Ket, in the Southern division of the county, Clavering hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, county court district of Bungay and Beccles, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Gregory is a small thatched structure in the Norman style : it consists of chancel, nave and south porch (which is a handsome specimen of Norman work), with octagonal tower and 2 bells. The register dates from the year 1542. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Hales, joint gross yearly value £103, in the gift of Sir William Bowyer Smijth bart. and held since 1874 by the Rev. Thomas Parr, Belfast College, who resides at Loddon. The poor's land is 2A. 3R. awarded at the enclosure of 1822. The Loddon Union House is here : it is a large commodious building, built in 1764, but partially destroyed by fire in 1836, capable of holding 600, but generally contains about 200 poor; for particulars of union, see Loddon. Colonel Custance is lord of the manor of Dages with Heckingham. The principal landowners are Sir Wm. Bowyer Smijth bart. and Robert Preston Fuller esq. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand, brick earth, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,084 acres; rateable value £1,530; the population in 1881 was 174.
Letters through Norwich. Loddon is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875 for the united district of Hales & Heckingham; J. C. Copeman, Loddon, clerk to the board. The school, a red brick building, was erected in 1878, at a cost of £500, for 69 children; average attendance, 50; Miss Charlotte Taylor, mistress
1891 Census Names Index
Loddon & Clavering Workhouse 1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Heckingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Heckingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page